Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The V Project

Life is so fast paced here at The University of Alabama, but I'm sure it is fast paced at every big university. I am glad to have the opportunity to be busy all day everyday and I love that my university challenges me to be the best and do my best.

For my first project in TCF 100, I am making a short three minute film on Venecia Butler and her foundation. If you do not know her, check out these links to learn more about her life, and her experience with cancer. https://www.facebook.com/venecia.benefieldbutler?fref=ts
 https://www.facebook.com/events/759217204145225/

 When Mrs. Champion first told us to think and write down our story ideas, the only one that quickly came to mind was Venecia and how she has impacted so many people, not just in the small town of Piedmont, but all over the United States. I wanted the main focus to be on her and her foundation. I did not want the focus to be about cancer because everyone knows what cancer is and how depressing it can be.

After gathering my ideas and contacting Venecia for permission to write about her, I knew I had a lot on my plate. I have never worked with a video camera, set up a tripod, or edited anything. So, I went into this project with the intention of learning everything in a short amount of time.

The first weekend of filming entailed the interview. I am not shy when it comes to being in front of the camera, but since this was my first time doing an interview, I was a little uneasy. As I was setting up the camera (trying to remember how to place it on the tripod), Venecia looks at me and says,
" If I look like I'm about to throw up, let me. Then we can continue."
She had just recently finished a round of chemo. It was then when I really realized what kind of a person she was. No one going through chemo should want to get out of bed, put on makeup, get in front of a camera, and be interviewed. Venecia did. She is a great example that even though I think my problems are big, there is always someone with bigger problems that continues to push forward.
She made me laugh more than I made her laugh. She gave me the chance to not only get experience and help finish my project, but to remember what life is all about. Keep pushing no matter what.


The weekend of the 2nd annual CRAP 5K turned out great. I interviewed two volunteers for the event. One of the volunteers is Venecia's sister, Randa Carroll. She worked behind the scenes to help make it such a success. I also interviewed Cayce Grimes, who was the MC for the womanless beauty pageant before the CRAP run.

The JSU softball team, girls from Zeta Tau Alpha, and people all over Calhoun County helped make the day a success.
Everyone raised over thirteen thousand dollars for Venecia's Foundation.

It was great to be apart of something so EPIC. Venecia, you have made and continue to make a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment